Key to engaging more residents in shaping of Enfield’s future will be increased communications and dialogue. The town has already redesigned Enfield’s website, launched a new newsletter, listserv, and articles in local papers. Over the coming months, more opportunities will be created for ongoing dialogue.
Here is a proposed time line for adopting the strategic governance process:
March 2018 – Obtain broad voter support for adopting strategic governance at the municipal level. Hire the Center for Strategic Governance to work with Enfield on this initiative.
April – September 2018 – Work with the eight operating departments to create proposed five-year strategic plans (2019-2023) and present them publicly at joint meetings of the Town Manager, Select Board, and Budget Committee to:
- Provide a clear, detailed sense of what it takes to operate municipal government,
- Move towards data-driven decision making,
- Identify resources that might be available for other strategic initiatives,
- Create a basis for prioritizing goals and related investments over time.
October – November 2018 – Town Manager, Select Board, and Budget Committee:
- Assess the state-of-the town using factors that shape the overall quality of life in Enfield,
- Launch a strategic governance website to begin engaging residents in the process.
- Develop a financial tradeoff tool that enables officials to explore many “what-if” scenarios regarding budgets over the next five years.
- Develop a draft 2019 operating budget that incorporates the strategic initiatives identified in the various department strategic plans.
- Preparation/completion of supplemental studies (i.e., Municipal Facilities Optimization Study, Water/Wastewater Asset Management Plans).
- Begin outreach and engagement with Enfield residents.
December 2018 – February 2019
- Use findings of supplemental studies to inform development of 6-year capital improvement plan (CIP)
- Ongoing dialogue with residents about projected needs, priorities, and long-term tradeoffs.
Click HERE to return to main page of Strategic Governance in Enfield.